Saint John Baptist de Lasalle


I grew up in a group called Lasallian Youth during my high school years, which was a service organization responsible for many of my life long friendships. It was a formative supplement to the great life example set by my parents, and no doubt part of the inspiration that lead me to Peru for three years.

Today is a big deal here, the feast of St. John “Juan.” Everyone celebrates by making “Juane’s,” which is a piece of chicken, egg, and olive in a ball of rice, all wrapped in a banana leaf and tied tight at the top to keep everything inside. It’s then boiled, which makes it also a “safe” food to eat on the street since it’s well sealed. It is supposed to be representative of John the Baptist’s head… post guillotine. It’s easy to forget that gruesome detail while eating this delicious meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment